The Long Yarn
Making stems from a wealth of knowledge improved over generations and shared for the benefit of the community. Making means mending, learning from the past, and pushing for solutions. Making means thinking on your toes, stepping out of bounds, and discovering a new path. Making sprouted from an idea sown in a garden of wonder. We watered it. We nurtured it. We sang our favorite songs to it. Now we’re ready to share the crop with our dearest making fam!
Our Social Fabric
We are a network of makers, doers, fixers, and changers. We want to make lasting connections, improve our skills (and ourselves), and create a new ecosystem for all makers to learn, explore, and grow. We honor the work of those who came before us, and we amplify the voices of women and BIPOC who continue to pave the way for a more inclusive future. Rich in fiber and made with love, Making is a place for every maker - from knitters to sewists, beginners to experts, and downright wholesome human beans. :)
Our Work in Progress
Making is a place of wonder and exploration. A place to discover new connections and imagine new possibilities.
Making is a place of inspiration. A place to find and share, to teach and learn, and to encourage growth for makers of all levels.
Making is a place for participation. A place for lively interactions - for listening, understanding, and communicating respect to each and every maker.
Our Common Threads
Making space for every maker means finding common ground through a common foundation. What we share is simple—a passion for making and a love for community. What we’re making is open and evolving. We want to grow together and embrace diversity. Here at Making, we’re creating an environment of kindness complimented with radical empathy.
In this space we believe:
- Black Lives Matter
- BIPOC are empowered and deserve a voice
- All bodies are beautiful regardless of ability
- Food security is a human right
- Climate justice is racial justice
- Abolishing the Prison Industrial Complex is racial justice
- Feminism is intersectional
- People of faith are respected
- The LGBTQ+ community is celebrated
- Gender is a spectrum
- Women are powerhouses with bodily autonomy
- Immigrants enrich our culture and deserve proportional opportunities
- The Earth needs to be respected and protected
- Accessibility, equitability, and sustainability are top priorities
- We must lead with kindness and compassion
The act of making is our needle — stitching common threads from our past into the present and through the future — the patchwork of our lives enriched by each and every stitch. Let’s build this community together piece by piece and make a space for every maker!